How Can YOU Help?
How YOU as a customer can help your rankings.
A lot of customers call us and ask “How can I help with my rankings?” We really appreciate this question, we realize most of our customers are entrepreneurs and are used to being very hands on with all aspects of their businesses. So today we are going to post a quick blog post on how you as a customer can help your rankings, and assist us in this process.
On the other side of this, we have seen some of our customers try to “help” by building links and even go as far as purchasing VERY DANGEROUS blackhat software that could potentially remove your business from Google’s index permanently. This is a very sensitive art, and should be handled with care. So without further delay…
Top 7 Ways You Can Help Your Rankings
- CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT – Content is king. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times. If you have a blog, update it (like we are doing now), if you have an RSS feed, update it. If you are not sure how to do this, or you do not have a blog, simply write an article (as often as you would like, weekly would be great) and send it to us. We will find a way to add it to your website. In the race to win first place in the search engines, if Google is comparing two sites – one that does not update and one that does, guess who wins? The site with the fresh content.
- Don’t Get Mad, Tweet About it! – Tweet your website out there to the world. Don’t have a Twitter Account? Go Make One. Very simple. Twitter is a huge way to bring link juice to your website and to help it win the ranking race.
- Become a Social Butterfly –Digg.com, Reddit, Facebook, and more are all HUGE ways to promote your site, and help get it ranked. Sign up for these sites, get an account. Start commenting and participate in the communities. Don’t be selfish either – like and share what you find interesting. Take 20 minutes per week to do this. Also checkout url.org.
- Sir, You Have Received a Citation –No, it’s not that kind of a citation. A citation is a website such as Yelp . Sites like these are a great way to not only harness the power of a backlink, but it will create another listing for your site. Think of these sites as different phonebooks. As a business owner, you want to get listed in as many of these as possible. This is also the best way to gain placement on Google Maps.
- Be Our Guest – Heard the term “guest blogging?” No? Well, guest blogging is the practicing of posting on another persons blog. An example of this would be: lets say I own “Patricks Painting” in Ashland PA. The next town over is “Bruces Painting.” We both have websites with blogs. We aren’t really competitors, we are actually friends that talk about the industry and what is going on with our company and the climate, etc. We would make a deal to post on each others blog, and place a strategic link to each others website in the process.
- Link Directories – These two websites are the holy grail of links: DMOZ and Yahoo Directory (now extinct). Getting a link in one of these directories is the equivalent of thousands of other links. Getting into DMOZ for some, is enough to rank their site alone…it is basically saying to Google “We have our stuff together.”
- Smile, You’re On Camera – First of all, sign up for YouTube and make yourself a nice channel. Fill out all the information and place a link to your website. Next, pull out your trusty camera and start shooting. Make relevant howtos, make a video tour of your office, do a video newsletter – the possibilities are endless!
We take website ranking very seriously. We realize that it is the difference between being profitable and not. That is why I hope you take this advice seriously, and take our suggestions.
Again, we appreciate those customers of ours that want to take an active role in their rankings. Thank you!
We Blog About SEO
We're glad you stopped by. We blog about SEO to contribute to the community, and to help educate those looking to learn more about it.
Tumblr SEO Series
Learn On-Page SEO